“Overwhelming” seems to be the best word to describe
the way that most people feel when they are introduced to wine for the first
time. This was exactly how I felt when I worked at my first job, an Italian
restaurant, and was told that I needed to learn the subject.
To make things harder, I was only 18 when I began what
seemed like a treacherous journey to understanding how wine worked. Not being
able to taste the wine since I was underage felt like I was fighting an uphill
battle. It seemed difficult enough to learn about the different aspects such as
regions, varieties, and flavor profiles, but it also forced me to study harder
to ensure I would be able to perform my job.
As time went on and knowledge was gained, the day
finally arrived that I turned 21 and was able to taste the fantastic concoction
made from a vast array of different grapes. All of a sudden it became easier to
understand the different terminology and characteristics, such as tobacco or
cigar box, that I had always thought wouldn’t exist.
The point that I am getting at with this initial post
is that anyone can begin to learn about wine and the more knowledge you gain,
the broader the horizons become. Cheers to the beginning of a great journey!
![]() |
| Courtesy of caliterraliving.com |

Can't wait to read your posts!
ReplyDelete